Sunday, January 14, 2007

Twillingate Rocks


I'm not sure why but I have always been fascinated by rocks. Big ones, small ones, plain ones, it doesn't matter to me; they all have a story to tell. There are so many variations a school friend once blurted out in biology class, as she often innocently did, that rocks grew and therefore must be alive. I hope she sees the error in her line of thought, but hey, it does make for great school stories.

The past summer I had the luxury of exploring some of my favourite spots and checking out in little more detail some of the local rocks, and to my surprise found out that Twillingate is home to some of the oldest rocks around. The White Granite rocks of Twillingate kept popping up in books, one of which is a rock guide I found at one of the local museums. I wish I had paid more attention in school or had taken formal class in University because all I can do is look at them, admire them, and pretend I know what I’m looking at. I really have no clue in the various types but would like to learn some day. I had actually brought home about 30 pounds of various samples in the truck of my car. That my two sons and I scavenged. It’s a good thing I guess that the Port Aux Basques port authorities didn’t check my spare tire well!

I will post a few of the pictures I had taken and if someone by chance discovers this small blog, and has a similar interest or actually knows what types of rocks these are, please let me know. Now, for all of those faithful readers, please don’t get discouraged, I will not turn the blog into a rock emporium, but I think there’s something to be said for the beautify of something so common and plentiful in the town of Twillingate.

Have you found any interesting rocks or minerals there? I do know of a limestone cave with small stalactites , rocks full of copper and lava ladders full of shiney mica. There is even a natural stone archway in Twillingate Little Harbour.

BTW, I mentioned in my last post I would post a picture of the small cave, Unfortunately the image was very blurry. I will try to sharpen the image a little and may post it to my Flickr account.

PS. I almost forgot. Yes, Twillingate does rock!

~2q

3 comments:

John Mutford said...

I also remember picking up pieces of white "coral" amongst the gravel in the pit between Wild Cove and Mutford's Cove. I was fascinated to think the ocean could ever have made it that far up from the present day shore.

John Mutford said...

I also checked out the Wordplay link i.e., "White granite rocks". It must be a little dated as the cave at Sleepy Cove has since caved in and is no more. I discovered that the last time I went back. Sad really. Like so many stores closing there, it felt like even nature was out to erase the Twillingate I knew as a kid.

I'm also surprised that they didn't acknowledge the lava ladder that you mentioned. In Gallow's Cove, or Gallis Cove? I know we always said Gallis Cove, but I assumed it was really a mispronounciation of Gallows. Any idea how it got its name?

2qurios said...

I have often wondered where the name originated. I have never seen it written anywhere and only assume that we as kid, and our parents have always mispronounced it. Much like Paradis. I mentioned in a previous post I'm not sure if it's an official name or just some that has been pased on by word of mouth. Are there any official Twillingate maps with the names of all the coves? It maybe an interesting project to get a map and name all the coves.

~2q